The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


Either (1) something given to you in a brown paper bag to keep you quiet, or (2) something distasteful emanating from the country of Scotland.




Next Match

06 March 2021
Boreham Wood
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

02 March 2021
Solihull Moors
Vanarama National League 
Won 1-0

     On This Day

In 1993,The Daggers beat Farnborough Town 4-1  Away in the GM Vauxhall Conference 

In 1999,The Daggers beat Slough Town 1-0  Away in the Ryman League Premier 

In 2001,The Daggers beat Scarborough 1-0 at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2004,The Daggers drew 3-3 with Margate Away in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2007,The Daggers drew 1-1 with Stafford Rangers at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2010,The Daggers drew 0-0 with Bury Away in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2012,The Daggers lost 0-4 to Swindon Town Away in the NPower League Two 



New boss

Dagenham & Redbridge Managers
by Hardy on 22/02/2010

The list of Managers of Dagenham & Redbridge FC since the club's formation in 1992.

Dagenham & Redbridge FC Managers

John Still - May 1992 - May 1994

John took over the reins at Dagenham & Redbridge FC on formation of the new club having previously managed Redbridge Forest. Previously a player for Dagenham, Ilford, Bishops Stortford and Orient, John had also managed Leytonstone/Ilford and Dartford, and won the Conference title when in charge at Maidstone United before joining Redbridge Forest. He had two very successful seasons finishing 3rd and 6th but resigned to take up the job as manager of Peterborough United at the end of the club's second season.

Dave Cusack - May 1994 to September 1995

Dave took over from John Still having made over 600 Football League appearances for Millwall, Southend United, Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster Rovers and previously been player manager at Rotherham United, Boston United and Kettering Town.

Cusack's only full season in charge saw the Daggers slip to a 15th place finish. He left the club after just 18 months in charge in September 1995 after a poor start saw the club take just 5 points from its first 8 games. Cusack is now Chairman at Essex Senior League club Basildon United.

Graham Carr - September 1995 to April 1996

Graham Carr, now best known as the father of comedian Alan Carr, took over the reins at Victoria Road in September 1995 with the club already lying 3rd bottom of the Conference. Carr had played for Northampton Town and Telford United and had spells in charge of Northampton Town, Maidstone United, Kettering Town and Nuneaton Borough before joining the Daggers after a month in charge of Weymouth.

Carr's time is charge can be best described as disasterous, with just 13 points secured under him and the Daggers were already pretty much relegated by the time he was fired. Carr was head scout at Newcastle United having previously had the same role at Manchester City. He is currently an Associate Director at Northampton Town.

Ted Hardy - April 1996 to March 1999

"Father" Ted Hardy had previously managed the old Dagenham FC twice and also managed Bishops Stortford, Enfield and Leytonstone & Ilford. An extremely successful non-League manager he took charge of the club aged 67 for the last seven games of the 1995/96 season but could not save the Daggers from finishing bottom of the Conference and therefore taking relegation to the Isthmian League.

Having been relegated, Ted set about rebuilding the team based on local players and where possible youth. The turnaround was dramatic and the Daggers reached the FA Trophy Final at Wembley in 1997 where they narrowly lost to Woking after extra time.

Ted's three seasons in charge saw the club finish 4th, 4th and 3rd in the Isthmian League and laid the foundations for what followed. Ted retired in March 1999, with John Bennett taking over as caretaker, and was granted a testimonial against West Ham in May 1999.

Ted Hardy Testimonial Programme

Ted remains a Life Vice-President of the club and is a true Daggers legend. The main function hall in the clubhouse was named the Ted Hardy Suite in his honour in 2017.

Garry Hill - May 1999 to April 2004

Garry Hill took over from caretaker John Bennett in the close season of 1999, arriving from St Albans City having previously also managed Heybridge Swifts. Garry took the team that Ted Hardy had built and with a few additions to the squad led the club to a triumphant return to the Conference, winning the Ryman Isthmian League with 101 points, with 97 goals scored, a margin of 24 points from second placed Aldershot Town.

Once back in the Conference the club surprised everyone by finishing 3rd in the first season up, and also had an epic FA Cup run, eventually losing 1-0 in extra time in a replay to Premier League Charlton having been within five minutes of winning the tie at the Valley. The following season the Daggers again reached tha FA Cup 3rd round and lost out on the Conference championship on goal difference to Boston United.

After a summer of uproar over the Bostongate affair (see the story of Bostongate in the "Rivals" feature), the Daggers of 2002/03 went one better in the FA Cup, losing to a late winner at Norwich in the 4th round and reached the first ever Conference Promotion play off final only to lose 3-2 to an extra time golden goal which saw Doncaster Rovers seal promotion.

In 2003/04 Garry tried to rebuild the team that had come so close to gaining promotion but the run of success had been broken and the club slid to mid-table.

Garry announced his resignation in March 2004 intending to leave at the end of the season, but moved on early in April after a series of poor results showed the time was right, immediately taking charge at Hornchurch. He left Hornchurch in January 2005 following their money issues and has since also managed Weymouth.

Garry then moved to take charge at Rushden & Diamonds, a job he resigned from in February 2009. In January 2011 Garry made a welcome return to football, taking over as manager of Woking and had them once again flying high in the Conference for a while. He left after a couple of poor seasons at Woking with little money available in the Summer of 2017 and was regularly seen at Victoria Road on a Saturday watching the club where he made his name.

In November 2018 Garry took over as manager of Ebbsfleet United. He departed from Ebbsfleet a year later and is currently not involved in football.

John Still - April 2004 to February 2013

After spells as manager of Peterborough United and Barnet and assistant roles at Lincoln City and Bristol Rovers, John returned to what he proudly called "his club" in April 2004. He set about rebulding the team left by Garry Hill based on youth once more, using his contacts and eye for potential to find players such as Craig Mackail-Smith, Paul Benson and Scott Griffiths from local clubs.

After finishes of 11th and 10th in his first two full seasons back in charge he then led the club to the Conference Championship and promotion to the Football League in 2006/07, winning by a margin of 14 points.

Having won promotion the Daggers first consolidated their place in the Football League and then in 2009/10 gained another promotion to League One with a play off win at Wembley over Rotherham United. Unluckily relegated again after one season at the higher level by just a single point, John faced the task of rebuilding his team in League Two once more for another assault on promotion, however the loss of key players who had made a name in League One like Danny Green and Romaine Vincelot saw the team back in a relegation battle in League Two, finishing 19th.

A slightly better, but still lacklustre, campaign in 2012/13 saw John approach the club board out of the blue looking to accept a job offer from "sleeping giant" Conference side Luton Town for a significant hike in wages and on the 26th February 2013 it was announced that Still had left the club with two full years left on his contract. He also took with him coach Terry Harris, who had been with the club 14 years.

He was part of the furniture at Victoria Road and virtually unsackable, pronouncing several times that the Daggers were "his" club and he would not take another job in football. As a result of this, his departure left a slightly bad taste in the mouth of many fans, but his second spell in charge will always be remembered fondly for its achievements if not necessarily the style of football played.

John Still with the Conference Championship Trophy April 2007 (c)

At the point he left John Still was 4th on the list of longest serving League Managers behind Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) and David Moyes (Everton).

At Luton, John won the Conference title for a third time, getting the Hatters back into the Football League in his first full season in charge. Luton finished just out of the playoffs in their first season back, then struggled in 2015/16 and John was fired in December 2015 with the Hatters sitting 17th.

Wayne Burnett - February 2013 to December 2015

On the departure of John Still, his assistant Wayne Burnett was appointed interim manager until a permenant appointment could be made.

Burnett had a long playing career in the Football League for Plymouth Argyle, Huddersfield Town, Grimsby Town, Leyton Orient, Bolton Wanderers and Peterborough United as well as playing non-League football for Woking, Grays Athletic and Fisher Athletic. He also briefly played Premier League football for Blackburn Rovers.

After retiring from football in 2004, Burnett went on to become manager with former clubs Grays and Fisher as well as a spell with Dulwich Hamlet before returning to Leyton Orient as youth team manager. In May 2009 Burnett took on the role of assistant manager to John Still at Dagenham & Redbridge.

After a run of poor form which resulted in the Daggers falling from reletive mid table safety to a position where only a Barnet defeat on the last day of the season kept the Daggers in the Football League, it was a bit of a surprise when it was announced that the appointment had been made permenant on the 2nd May 2013 with a two year contract awarded.

In Burnett's first full season in charge though the Daggers finished a creditable 9th in League Two, although 11 points off the playoffs and 2 from being bottom half. In 2014/15 the Daggers were dismal up to New Year and out of all three cups and in the relegation places halfway through the season. Despite this, and loud rumblings from the supporters, the board stuck by Burnett.

They were rewarded by an ugly climb to mid table mediocacy (14th) and awarded Burnett a new two year contract.

The reward for that loyalty was prevarication in actually getting the new contract signed and the delay meant that the sorting out of players contracts was delayed. Players like club captain Abu Ogogo, Scott Doe, Billy Bingham and Luke Howell all moved on leaving Burnett with a major rebuilding job on his hands in 2015/16 which started with a run of defeats leaving the Daggers rock bottom of the Football League in October.

For the first time since the Carr era, the Daggers fans eventually turned on the Manager and despite the club sneaking past non-league Whitehawk and into the FA Cup third round to face Everton, a 3-0 defeat at home to Bristol Rovers taking the club back to bottom of the Football League, and meaning the Daggers had not won a single home game that season was the final straw.

After fan protests in the ground and clubhouse Burnett was finally fired on the 21st December 2015, with his assistants Darren Currie and Warren Hackett stepping into the breach until a full time appointment was made.

After a couple of years out of football, Burnett is currently coach of the Tottenham Hotspur u23 team.

John Still - December 2015 to May 2018

After two games under interim managers Warren Hackett and Darren Currie, John Still was reappointed on the 31st December 2015 until the end of the 2016/17 season for a third spell in charge. John had been fired by Luton Town in mid December.

Still had a hand in selecting the side for a win at Stevenage before officially becoming boss, and then oversaw another win in his first game in charge, lifting the Daggers out of the bottom two. The reprieve was temporary and Still could not work the miracle saddled with the poor squad Burnett had left behind and the Daggers were relegated following a 3-2 defeat at Leyton Orient on the 16th April 2016.

Still stayed in place for the first two seasons back in non-league, leading the Daggers to a play off semi final in 2016/17. In what turned out to be a difficult 2017/18, the Daggers were flying high in the early season only to be derailed by off field problems resulting in the departure of major investor Glyn Hopkin.

With the club looking to significantly reduce its budget going forward, John stepped down in May 2018, and subsequently took the vacant managers job at relegated Barnet, where assistant Darren Currie joined him shortly afterwards.

In December 2018 Still announced his retirement from football, only to then turn up back at another former club, Maidstone United, as Director of Football in early 2019.

Peter Taylor - June 2018 to December 2019

A famous football name with a long track record, Peter Taylor, was announced as the new manager on the 5th June 2018, tasked the keeping the Daggers up during the 2018/19 season with minimal budget.

Taylor brought with him assistant Terry Harris, back for his fourth coaching spell with the club having previously been assistant to Garry Hill and John Still. Terry was a Daggers player beck in the 1970s, famously scoring the Daggers goal in the 1977 FA Trophy defeat at Wembley.

After a slow start to 2018/19 with his bargain basement new squad, the investment from new US based owners Trinity Sports Holdings put pressure on the Taylor/Harris pairing to improve form and keep the Daggers in the National League at the end of the season which was achieved comfortably in the end.

Taylor was given budget by the new club owners to build a squad capable of getting the Daggers challenging for a play off place at the very least in 2019/20. Unfortunately the team failed to live up to the hype and despite an early season unbeaten run, form dipped, and a series of dismal results saw Taylor leave the club on the 29th December 2019 after a 3-0 away defeat at Bromley.

Daryl McMahon - Appointed January 2020

After one game under caretakers Terry Harris and Jody Brown the Daggers appointed Daryl McMahon on the 3rd January 2020.

More shortly.

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club