The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


Nirvana. (from Len Britton)




Next Match

27 October 2020
Maidenhead United
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

     On This Day

In 1992,The Daggers beat Hednesford Town 3-1  Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 2009,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Macclesfield Town Away in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2015,The Daggers lost 1-3 to Accrington Stanley Away in the Sky Bet League Two 

In 2017,The Daggers beat Macclesfield Town 1-0 at Home in the Vanarama National League 



Missing Today

Daggers Stumble To Defeat
by Nelson on 09/04/2007

The Daggers stumbled to a 4-2 defeat at relegation threatened Cambridge United as the hangovers from the promotion party set in.

Cambridge United

Dagenham & Redbridge

Peters 24
Simpson 32
Pitt 37
Wolleaston 54

Benson 8
Benson 11

Nationwide Conference
Abbey Stadium
Monday 9th April 2007
Daggers Stumble To Defeat
Having secured the Nationwide Conference title on Saturday, the Daggers today stumbled to a 4-2 defeat at the Abbey Stadium against a buoyant Cambridge United side after taking an early 2-0 lead.

As could have been anticipated, John Still rang the changes for this game, coming so soon after the party following clinching the title and with another trip to Northwich on Wednesday. Nicky Eyre made his Conference debut in goal, Robbo apparently having picked up an ankle injury in the game on Saturday. Paolo Vernazza and Jake Leberl started in place of Dave Rainford and Sam Sloma, both on the bench with Chris Moore up front alongside Paul Benson 

The non playing members of the squad joined the fans in the away stand, applauded to their seats in a moment that you won't see in too many Premiership games. 

The Daggers flew out of the blocks showing little signs of the inevitable hangover and took the lead as early as the 8th minute when Paul Benson (left) headed the visitors in front from a Sam Saunders free-kick. 

Benno added another three minutes later, Chris Moore (right) bursting free down the Daggers left and slipping a perfect pass into the Conference leading scorer, who made it all loo simple taking his Nationwide Conference goal tally to 28 for the season.

Cambridge began to show the form that saw them score seven against Weymouth in their previous home game from there on in though and started to use the width of the Abbey Stadium pitch to stretch the Daggers. After a couple of close shaves it was no real surprise when Mark Peters rose highest from a corner to reduce the deficit to 2-1 in the 24th minute and suddenly it was game on.

The Daggers were still a threat though, having a goal disallowed for offside before Robbie Simpson got the equaliser for the U's bundling home somehow after the home side broke, looking suspiciously offside on 32 minutes.

Suddenly the home team were really buzzing and they took the lead five minutes later. Again they broke in acres of space and Courtney Pitt finished superbly shooting across Eyre and just inside the post. The Daggers fans never skipped a beat though singing "2-0 and we mucked it up" (well close to that) and joining the home fans in a chorus of "We're not going down."

After the break again the Daggers showed they were still a threat with Jake Leberl (left) heading just over from a Sam Saunders cross. Jake kicked the post in frustration knowing he should have scored and the Daggers were punished for the miss when Robert Wolleaston made it 4-2 to Cambridge, again breaking into acres of space and finishing superbly into the corner.

At that point it looked like the the game could see any number of goals and both sides had chances to increase their tally as the game went on. The hosts thought they should have had a penalty when Simpson appeared to be clipped in the area, but the referee waved play-on. Simpson went close a couple more times, once denied by a great save from Eyre, and close to the end Paul Benson finished superbly for what looked like his hat-trick only for the goal to be ruled offside.

The 572 travelling Daggers fans Conga'd in the away stand, not really caring how it ended though and gave the team a standing a standing ovation at the final whistle despite the end of the 11 match unbeaten run that clinched the title. One negative for the game was seeing Mark Arber (right) helped off the pitch limping instead of joining he other Daggers in applauding the fans.   




1 Paul Crichton (GK)
21 Michael Morrison
5 Mark Peters
3 Aidan Collins
25 Dan Gleeson (off 90 mins)
18 Stephen Smith (off 90 mins)
23 Daniel Brown
17 Robert Wolleaston
11 Courtney Pitt
9 Daniel Chillingworth (off 82 mins)
15 Robbie Simpson


20 Shane Herbert (GK)
4 Andy Duncan
8 David Bridges (on 90 mins)
16 Darren Quinton (on 90 mins)
27 Craig Hughes (on 82 mins)

30 Nicky Eyre (GK)
19 Danny Foster
15 Anwar Uddin
25 Mark Arber
12 Scott Griffiths
7 Sam Saunders (off 79 mins)
6 Jake Leberl
10 Paolo Vernazza
8 Glen Southam (off 74 mins)
14 Paul Benson
23 Chris Moore (off 68 mins)


27 Dave Hogan (GK)
3 Sam Sloma (on 79 mins)
11 Dave Rainford
18 Ben Strevens (on 68 mins)
26 Jamie Taylor (on 74 mins)

Referee: G Horwood
Attendance: 3,319

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Paul Benson

Scored A First Half Brace

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club