The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 17/18
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


The act of almost getting egg on your face but ducking at the last second, then pretending you weren't worried at all the whole time.




Next Match


Last Match

27 April 2019
Solihull Moors
Vanarama National League 
Drew 1-1

     On This Day

No fixtures played on 19/5



Eventful night

2-2 And We Mucked It Up
by Hardy on 08/12/2004

The Daggers snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night in an eventful game under the floodlights at the Glyn Hopkin Stadium.

Dagenham & Redbridge

Exeter City

Mackail-Smith 22
Moore (pen) 59

Moore missed pen 70

Gaia 9
Sheldon 14
O'Sullivan 81

Rice s/o 70

Nationwide Conference
Glyn Hopkin Stadium
Tuesday 7th December 2004
2-2 And We Mucked It Up
The Daggers snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last tonight in an eventful game under the floodlights at the Glyn Hopkin Stadium.

John Still kept faith with the eleven that won so convincingly at Tamworth, Ashley Vickers (right) returning from suspension but only on the bench.

Exeter, playing their first game since winning the FA Cup jackpot of a game at Old Trafford started fast and had three shots at goal in the first nine minutes of the game. The third, a long range pot shot from Gareth Sheldon after Lee Goodwin had gifted him the ball was brilliantly tipped over by Tony Roberts at full stretch.

From the resulting corner though the Grecians took the lead when Santos Gaia scored his ninth goal of the season from centre half, heading home Jeannin's corner. Five minutes later it was 0-2, Gareth Sheldon applying a great finish to a fine City move.

The Daggers regrouped and looked to be having a lot of success with route one, long kicks from Roberts repeatedly finding Moore and Mackail-Smith. They hauled themselves back into the game on 22 minutes when Mark Janney (left) and Chris Moore found space up the Daggers right and Janney's cross flicked off a City defender and dropped to Craig Mackail-Smith on the edge of the area. In a blur the ball was buried past Martin Rice and it was 1-2. Game on!

The Daggers thought they had pulled level just before half time when Chris Moore headed in a Lee Goodwin cross, but the linesman's flag was raised immediately. The Daggers were caught offside far too often throughout the game sadly.

The game was really end to end throughout but the Daggers were just about good value for their equaliser which came after 59 minutes. The decision for the penalty looked a little generous though when Jeannin was judged to have pushed Chris Moore in the box. Moore picked himself up and scored from the spot, although the finish was less than convincing.

Suddenly it was only one team that was going to win the game as the Daggers steamed forward. The game turned on a second penalty decision with 20 minutes left in the game. This time it was a clear penalty as Martin Rice brought down Mackail-Smith who was through on goal having found all sorts of space through the heart of Exeter's defence.

After an age of debating with half the City team Rice was shown the red card by referee Beck for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity and on came sub keeper 18 year old Paul Jones for his debut for the Grecians. Having had to wait forever to take the spot kick Moore's shot was ok but a good height for Jones and he pushed it round the post.

The Daggers had several more chances to win the game, Paul Bruce (left) in particular guilty of a miss from close range when the ball dropped to him in the six yard box but on his right foot, the shot screwed wide. Shortly after this Mackail-Smith's shot looked to be in for half the crowd but was in the side netting.

With the Daggers chasing the win John Still made the bizarre decision to replace Chris Moore with the less than prolific Stuart Douglas on 79 minutes. If Moore was not injured, and he looked fine, this decision conceded the momentum of the game and John should be looking hard at himself this morning.

To make things worse, Exeter then broke out of defence and could have gone ahead when their ten men had a man over against the Daggers eleven but Devine's shot was saved by Roberts. Almost immediately though they did score the winner when Wayne O'Sullivan was allowed room to turn in the 81st minute and he found the bottom corner of Tony Roberts goal with a great left footed finish.

John Still's reaction to that was to haul off the natural left sider Paul Bruce and send on Tony Boot (left) to look for the win, the by-product of that one being Mackail-Smith moving out wide when he was terrorising the Grecians through the middle.

Boot did have a chance which Jones saved but it was not to be and the Daggers kissed goodbye to three points that they should have had in the bag.

To make matters worse, right at the death man of the match Craig Mackail-Smith picked up a nasty looking knock and it is to be hoped that it is not serious.




1 Tony Roberts
4 Lee Goodwin
2 Tim Cole
15 Anwar Uddin
16 Lee Flynn
7 Mark Janney
6 Jake Leberl
8 Glen Southam
22 Paul Bruce (off 84 mins)
10 Craig Mackail-Smith
23 Chris Moore (off 79 mins)


27 Martin Brennan
3 Ashley Vickers
5 Shane Blackett
9 Stuart Douglas (on 79 mins)
11 Tony Boot (on 84 mins)

1 Martin Rice
2 Scott Hiley
3 Gary Sawyer
5 Santos Gaia (off 45 mins)
20 Alex Jeannin
9 Jake Edwards (off 68 mins)
11 Gareth Sheldon
21 Dean Moxey
22 Leslie Afful (off 65 mins)
10 Sean Devine
23 Marcus Martin


27 Paul Jones (on 68 mins)
4 Danny Clay
7 Andrew Taylor (on 45mins)
12 Wayne O'Sullivan (on 65 mins)
14 Steve Flack

Referee: Mr S Beck
Attendance: 1,234

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Craig Mackail-Smith

"The lad is something else"

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club