The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 17/18
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


A group of people that moan continually how few you took to their ground then turn up with a quarter the number at your place.




Next Match

15 December 2018
Ebbsfleet United
Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round

Last Match

08 December 2018
FC Halifax Town
Vanarama National League 
Drew 1-1

     On This Day

In 1996,The Daggers beat Oxford City 4-3 at Home in the ICIS League Premier 

In 2002,The Daggers drew 3-3 with Doncaster Rovers at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2013,The Daggers lost 1-2 to Oxford United Away in the Sky Bet League Two 



Alone against the tide

Daggers See A Flash Of Light
by Hardy on 22/09/2004

The Daggers go down again, but at least show some spirit and score at Gravesend. Hardy reports from Stonebridge Road.

Gravesend & Northfleet

Dagenham & Redbridge

McKimm 27
Omoyinmi 49

Moore 66

Nationwide Conference
Stonebridge Road
Tuesday 21st September 2004
A Flash of Light at the End of the Tunnel?
The Daggers lost again last night at Gravesend to set a new record for the club of five games lost in a row, but strangely enough most of the travelling fans will have been encouraged by a second half performance that deserved more and showed that there is life yet in the team.

As expected, Shane Blackett replaced Ashley Vickers in the starting line up, Ash starting his four match ban. Otherwise the only change was Tony Boot in for Jack Midson as Chris Moore's partner up front.

On the bench Nick Bussey was sub keeper which suggests that Abi Baruwa is not in John Still's plans. One surprise and welcome face on the bench was Paul Bruce (right), back from the wilderness hopefully to add left sided options to the squad.

The first half opened in familiar fashion with the Fleet making all the running and the Daggers stretched at the back and in midfield. Shane Blackett on the left repeatedly found himself one on one with Moussa Sidebe who hugged the touchline, Lee Flynn going missing defensively. Despite this, Blackett had a good game, although the boo boys in the Daggers support seemed not to notice.

In goal, Alex O'Reilly seemed to have some vampire tendencies, repeatedly choosing to flap a fist at crosses that could have been caught. Given Gravesend's ability to whip in some wicked crosses especially from a series of early corners, it was almost inevitable that something would come from this and sure enough, just before the half hour the home team took the lead.

A deep cross from the Daggers left was perfect for Roy Essendoh who was faced by Lee Goodwin (left). Although Goodwin could not have won the header, his failure to even jump and challenge meant that Essendoh had the simple task of heading the ball back to Steve McKimm who slipped the ball into an empty net.

Just seconds later it looked like the Fleet had a decent penalty shout when a shot from the edge of the area following another corner was cleared off the line by Mark Janney with what looked suspiciously like an arm not a chest.

The officials though were having a true nightmare of a game, getting the simple line calls wrong time and again for both sides, so it was unlikely that Mr Evetts was going to get such a big decision right, and he would repeat his "no penalty" decision for the Daggers in the second half.

Once behind the Daggers finally started getting into the game and Wilkerson in the Fleet goal had to make a series of great saves to keep them in front. One, a flying leap to the top left hand corner of his goal to keep Jake Leberl's (right) header out was right out of the top drawer.

It was a shame then when just four minutes into the second half the Fleet made it 2-0. Manny Omoyinmi ran through, once again with only Blackett in close proximity. O'Reilly managed to half block the ball but Omoyinmi picked up the rebound and smashed it into the roof of the net for the spectacular finish. Later he would try the same trick when past the keeper and miss the target so next time roll it in Manny!

Again the Daggers were stung into life. Tony Boot wriggled free and had a shot but couldn't get the power into it to beat the in form Wilkerson. Then Lee Flynn (left) was found after a great break by Janney and Moore and his shot was tipped onto the bar and over by the keeper at full stretch. As his defence congratulated Wilkerson on another stunning save the officials decided it was a goal kick!

Two minutes later though the Daggers managed to end their goal drought that ran back to the 24th minute at home to Woking - 492 minutes of football in all! A corner from the left by Glen Southam induced panic and after a scramble Chris Moore managed to turn and smash it in from a couple of yards out for his fifth of the season.

Suddenly there was a little belief again. Chris Moore (right) began to torment the Fleet defence as of old. One break saw him turn his marker in the area and he was brought down for as clear a penalty as you are ever likely to see. Once again though Mr Evetts decided that it was no penalty.

Having ducked the big decisions of the game, Mr Evetts also fouled up on the two yellow cards he dished out. First he booked Chris Moore for catching Wilkerson in a 50/50 challenge outside of the area when Moore was entitled to go for the ball and indeed would have been severely admonished by John Still had he pulled out.

Then, when Jake Leberl went in two footed on a Gravesend player it looked every inch the fifth red card for the Daggers in six games, but Mr Evetts decided it was just a yellow. Very lucky Jake! It was Conference refereeing at its most awful and Evetts and his assistants should be sent back to park football as a result by the assessor.

The Daggers shuffled their pack a little, Craig Mackail-Smith (left) replacing the ineffective Lee Flynn, then Paul Bruce coming on for Mark Janney. Mackail-Smith again looked a handful, especially once wide on the right and must be pressing for a start soon.

As the game came to an end the Daggers pressed forward and the Fleet forwards threatened on the break and it looked like it had to be either 2-2 or 3-1 but in the end neither side could add to the scoring and the Daggers ended pointless one more.

Worryingly, in injury time, Lee Goodwin had to hobble off with an injury that looked a nasty one, replaced by Warren Barton in his Conference debut.

Results elsewhere mean the Daggers slip to 16th after nine games having topped the table after four games, but even so the second half performance, going forward at least, will have encouraged many that the run of defeats may soon be halted.




12 Paul Wilkerson
16 Lee Protheroe
8 Jay Saunders
24 Romauld Bouadji
3 Justin Skinner
25 Moussa Sidibe
14 Ben Surey
7 Steve McKimm
10 Jimmy Jackson
5 Manny Omoyinmi
11 Roy Essandoh

1 Charlie Mitten
21 Adam Garner
23 Andrew Drury
17 Jefferson Louis
15 James Pinnock
31 Alex O'Reilly
4 Lee Goodwin (off 90 mins)
2 Tim Cole
15 Anwar Uddin
5 Shane Blackett
7 Mark Janney (off 81 mins)
6 Jake Leberl
8 Glen Southam
16 Lee Flynn (off 71 mins)
11 Tony Boot
23 Chris Moore


73 Nick Bussey
10 Craig Mackail-Smith (on 71 mins)
12 Scott Griffiths
22 Paul Bruce (on 81 mins)
30 Warren Barton (on 90 mins)

Referee: Mr G Evetts
Attendance: 1,545

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Chris Moore

Goal and a great second half performance

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club