The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings






Next Match

27 October 2020
Maidenhead United
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Won 1-0

     On This Day

In 1998,The Daggers drew 1-1 with Wealdstone at Home in the FA Trophy 1st Round

In 2001,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Basingstoke Town Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 2007,The Daggers lost 0-2 to Rotherham United at Home in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2012,The Daggers drew 0-0 with Aldershot Town at Home in the NPower League Two 

In 2018,The Daggers beat Harrogate Town 2-1 at Home in the Vanarama National League 



4th Round Replay

Arlesey Town Replay Report
by Hardy on 03/02/2004

The Daggers crash out of the FA Trophy at Arlesey with a woeful performance.

Arlesey Town

Dagenham & Redbridge

Mackail-Smith 9
Mackail-Smith 22
Gutzmore 29
Corbold 48

Rees 3
Shipp 63

FA Trophy 4th Round Replay
Hitchin Road
Tuesday 3rd February 2004
Daggers crash out

The Daggers season is arguably now over after an embarrassing defeat at the hands of a team two divisions below them in the football pyramid who over the two games thoroughly deserved their moment of glory.

The Daggers lined up with a number of changes from the first game as seems almost compulsory this season. Mark Janney was dropped to the bench with Danny Hill coming in to the heart of midfield and Chris Piper (right) inexplicably moving to the right hand side. 

Tony Roberts (left) made a welcome return in goal and Alan Kimble played left back with Jimmy Jackson moving up to left midfield replacing Paul Bruce. Also on the bench was Steve Watts who is rumoured to be back after his move to Singapore fell through and John Higgs.

Once again the Daggers got off to the perfect start which should have settled all nerves on another blustery and occasionally wet night. They forced a couple of early corners and from the second the ball in from Chris Piper looked to have gone straight in but Matt Rees was credited with getting a final touch.

The battling never-say-die style of Arlesey that was so evident on Saturday surfaced once again and they charged back at the Daggers in a style that used to be the visitors own trademark.

Craig Mackail-Smith, who was excellent once more, weaved his way forward and forced Tony Roberts made a finger tip save, then from the resulting corner Mackail-Smith put the ball over the bar from close range.

The Daggers pushed up again, once more leaving themselves exposed to fast counter attacks from the Blues, seemingly not having learnt anything from the first game.

The game was level after just 9 minutes when another corner forced by a Lee Tekell free kick was flicked on and then headed in by Mackail-Smith.

The Daggers continued to leave themselves open to fast breaks and on 22 minutes Arlesey got their reward. Again it was Lee Tekell  that made the goal, and Mackail-Smith that finished it following a quick break.

The Daggers kept pressing forward but Arlesey coped well with the pressure, and continued to raid forward whenever the opportunity arose and they increased the lead when another break into the area ended up with Leon Gutzmore grabbing a third on 32 minutes.

The Daggers continued to have most of the ball and the pressure but it continued to be Arlesey that looked the more dangerous up to half time when the visitors headed in to the dressing room for 15 minutes of harsh words with their cuppa.

The game was over though within four minutes of the restart when Lee Tekell hopeful free kick caught Robbo in no-mans land and Matt Corbould's glancing header flew into the net. 

At 4-1 and surely no way back Garry Hill finally shuffled his pack a little, bringing on Mark Janney and Steve Watts. The visitors forced a number of chances but could not make them count while Arlesey continued to rattle their defence at every opportunity.

The Daggers gave the score a degree of respectability and rekindled a little hope when they finally pulled one back, Danny Shipp scoring from 15 yards  when the ball broke to him in the area with a little less than 30 minutes left on the game.

The Daggers were suddenly well on top and forced a number of good openings only to finish poorly although Steve Watts (left) was denied an obvious penalty that would have set up a grandstand finish when pulled back in the area.

As the game drew to a close the Daggers continued to batter away in vain as the excitement around the ground grew and at the end of the game the Arlesey players and supporters celebrated a famous and deserved victory. They will now look forward to a trip to either Exeter City or Kings Lynn in the last 16 on Valentines Day while the Daggers fans can look forward to taking wives and girlfriends to the shops.

For the Daggers it is recriminations and a very interesting fans forum for Garry Hill this Thursday. The forum takes place in the club starting at 8pm and will allow fans to put questions to Garry Hill (right) and Dave Andrew.




1 Martyn Patching
2 Martin Young
3 Steve Magona (off)
4 Lee Tekell
5 Matthew Corbould
6 Andy Theodosiou
7 Stuart Beevor
8 Jack Midson
9 Dean Harding (off)
10 Leon Gutzmore (off)
11 Craig Mackail-Smith


12 Tony Fontenelle (on)
14 Shane Blackett (on)
15 Nathan Buckland
16 Richard Pringle
17 Danny Griggs (on)

1 Tony Roberts
19 Tarkan Mustafa
3 Ashley Vickers
18 Matthew Rees (off)
26 Alan Kimble
14 Danny Hill
6 Chris Piper
9 Danny Shipp
16 Jimmy Jackson
17 Kirk Jackson
15 Leon Braithwaite


27 Abiodun Baruwa
7 Mark Janney (on)
21 John Higgs
10 Tony Perfect
22 Steve Watts (on)

Referee: Mr D. Deadman
Attendance: 760

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Jimmy Jackson

Tried hard but all to no avail

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club