The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


A highly amusing use of peroxide.




Next Match

27 October 2020
Maidenhead United
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Won 1-0

     On This Day

In 1998,The Daggers drew 1-1 with Wealdstone at Home in the FA Trophy 1st Round

In 2001,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Basingstoke Town Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 2007,The Daggers lost 0-2 to Rotherham United at Home in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2012,The Daggers drew 0-0 with Aldershot Town at Home in the NPower League Two 

In 2018,The Daggers beat Harrogate Town 2-1 at Home in the Vanarama National League 



A Brace For Shippy

Forest Green Rovers Report
by Nelson on 25/08/2003

Danny Shipp and Mark Bentley both score braces with Alex Meechan also opening his account against Forest Green Rovers. Nelson reports from the Glyn Hopkin Stadium.

Dagenham & Redbridge

Forest Green Rovers

Bentley 2
Shipp 28
Bentley 32
Shipp 81
Meechan 90

Cowe 45
Cowe 75

Nationwide Conference
Glyn Hopkin Stadium
Monday 25 August 2003
Deja-vu as Daggers win 5-2
The Daggers today won their second consecutive home match 5-2.

With no Ashley Vickers in the squad, defensive duties were left for Lee Goodwin, Lee Matthews, Mark Smith and Jimmy Jackson. Danny Shipp, Paul Bruce, Lenny Piper and Mark Bentley were favoured in midfield with Mark Stein and Leon Braithwaite starting up front.

The match got off to the perfect start for the home side when, with the match barely underway, the Daggers were awarded a free-kick on the left hand side. Paul Bruce fired the ball across the goal to Lee Matthews at the far post. Matthews made to shoot at Steve Perrin's goal, but his shot flew low across the goal to Mark Bentley (left) and he passed the ball right-footed into the back of the net.

With the Daggers piling on the early pressure, Mark Stein saw a shot fly over the bar and it was certainly Steve Perrin in the Forest Green goal who was the busiest 'keeper.

The lead was doubled just before the half-hour when a great square ball from the much-improved Leon Braithwaite found Danny Shipp (right) on the edge of the box who launced the ball over Perrin and into the corner of the net off the post.

With 32 minutes on the clock, the scoreline became 3-0 when Bentley produced one of the best solo goals ever seen at Victoria Road. Picking up the ball inside his own half, he ran down the right flank before cutting inside and beating the defenders and launching a powerful 20 yard shot into the roof of the net.

Deep into first half injury time, the visitors pulled a goal back against the run of play when Steve Cowe curled a great shot in at the far post, beyond the reach of Tony Roberts (left).

The second half saw the Daggers take their foot off the gas and this nearly proved costly for the hosts. The 64th minute saw Rovers come frighteningly close to reducing the deficit when Neil Grayson shot from close-range, only for his effort to crash off the bar and be cleared to safety. This was soon after he had seen a good cross flash across Roberts' goal without the necessary touch arriving.

Soon after, the visitors squandered another good chance to reduce the Daggers' lead when Jackson headed a goalbound shot off the line.

On 74 minutes though, Grayson did provide Rovers with the boost they needed, crossing the ball from the right wing for Cowe to double his tally by rounding Roberts and tapping home from close range.

With nine minutes of normal time remaining, Danny Shipp scored his second of the match and the 100th of his Daggers' career to ease the Daggers' unease. Substitute, Alex Meechan, won the ball on the left and, after some great work, crossed the ball to Shipp on the edge of the area and he made no mistake, blasting the ball into the far corner.

With ninety minutes on the clock, last Tuesday's scoreline against Barnet was replicated when substitute, Alex Meechan put on a burst of speed to beat the defender before firing a vicious right foot shot into the top corner of the net.

The largest surprise of the match, though, came in that the referee, Mr Yerby, managed to see through most of the game without making too many glaring errors. In fact, he had a good first half. However, the second half saw a number of challenges go unpunished, particularly a number of firm challenges on Leon Braithwaite and some obvious shirt pulling on Alex Meechan.




1 Tony Roberts
4 Lee Goodwin
5 Mark Smith
9 Danny Shipp
10 Mark Stein (off 77 mins)
11 Paul Bruce
12 Lenny Piper (off 65 mins)
15 Leon Braithwaite (off 84 mins)
16 Jimmy Jackson
17 Lee Matthews
18 Mark Bentley


19 Tarkan Mustafa
20 Alex Meechan (on 77 mins)
7 Mark Janney (on 65 mins)
14 Danny Hill (on 84 mins)
James Pullen

1 Steve Perrin
5 Denny Ingram
23 Scott Morgan
4 Jon Richardson
8 Martin Foster
10 Gary Owers
6 Matthew Russell (off 77 mins)
14 Steve Jones (off 46 mins)
3 Steve Jenkins
12 Steve Cowe (off 81 mins)
9 Neil Grayson


22 Dave Gilroy (on 81 mins)
24 Jimmy Lee Jones (on 46 mins)
19 Chris Giannangelo
15 Scott Rogers (on 77 mins)
11 Alex Sykes

Referee: Mr M Yerby
Attendance: 1,540

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Mark Bentley

A Great Performance And Another Two Goals

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club