The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


"Essex Senior Cup"
Two blokes in the away end. (from Len Britton)




Next Match

27 October 2020
Maidenhead United
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Won 1-0

     On This Day

In 1998,The Daggers drew 1-1 with Wealdstone at Home in the FA Trophy 1st Round

In 2001,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Basingstoke Town Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 2007,The Daggers lost 0-2 to Rotherham United at Home in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2012,The Daggers drew 0-0 with Aldershot Town at Home in the NPower League Two 

In 2018,The Daggers beat Harrogate Town 2-1 at Home in the Vanarama National League 



Rare goal from Ash

Stevenage Borough Report
by Hardy on 12/08/2003

The Daggers lose again in a disappointing performance against Stevenage Borough at the Glyn Hopkin Stadium. Match report from a confused Hardy.

Dagenham & Redbridge

Stevenage Borough

Vickers 74

Elding 15
Costello 62

Nationwide Conference
Glyn Hopkin Stadium
Tuesday 12th August 2003
Daggers go down again
The Daggers slumped to a second successive defeat to remain without a point in the Conference against a decent looking Stevenage Borough side at the Glyn Hopkin Stadium.

As predicted, Garry Hill tinkered with his line up for this one. Paul Bruce (left), who has impressed through pre-season and at Leigh dropped to the bench allowing Jimmy Jackson to push up to left midfield. Ashley Vickers moved out from the centre to left back with Lee Matthews coming in to the starting line up, partnering Mark Smith in front of James Pullen in goal.

Mark Bentley go the nod over Mark Janney on the right of midfield, with PT and Shippy paired through the middle and Stein and Braithwaite at the front. Alex Meechan once again warmed the bench with Lee Goodwin, Mark Janney, Paul Bruce and Chris Piper.

The game started well enough for the Daggers with some neat football played, Mark Bentley in particular causing trouble down the right. They really should have taken the lead when Stein found Braithwaite (right) 10 yards out in space. Unfortunately the shot was too close to Nathan Abbey who saved well.

It was very much against the run of play that Boro took the lead on 15 minutes. While the home defence dithered the ball was slipped by Steve Watson to Anthony Elding who calmly slotted hone past Pullen.

The goal completely changed the game with Boro now well on top and making chance after chance. Tarkan Mustafa was lucky to only see yellow when a desperate tackle after 32 minutes pole-axed Elding as the Daggers looked all at sea.

Early in the second half the Daggers did manage a little more threat. First Mark Bentley fired just over before Mark Stein found Paul Terry (left) who could only find Nathan Abbey's feet.

As it looked likely that the Daggers would fond a way to get level Boro then extended their lead just after the hour. Cook ran through the middle chased by Mustafa who was judged to have brought him down, which was protested loudly. The free kick was 25 yards out and dead centre. Pullen strangely lined up his wall to protect the middle of the goal and stayed behind it. Peter Costello hit a peach of a shot into the top left corner to raptures from the Boro fans.

Boro seemed happy to sit on the 2-0 and the Daggers steamed back at them as a result, immediately bringing Meechan and Bruce on for Shipp and Jackson. They pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute when Mark Smith (right) whipped the ball in and Ashley Vickers beat Abbey to the ball to head over the line.

The last 15 minutes were all the Daggers but huff and puff as they did they could not find a way to equalise. Stein hit the post and Meechan (left) somehow headed the rebound wide in the best chance and in the last seconds Alex Meechan saw his low header cleared with a diving save when it looked in.

Time finally ran out on the Daggers though and it really is a dismal start to the 2003/04 campaign.

Elsewhere Hereford beat Forest Green 5-1 to cement top spot after just 2 games, with the only other 100% record held by Aldershot, although Leigh play Accrington Stanley on Wednesday. Morecambe lost at Halifax while Shrewsbury and Chester both won 1-0.




13 James Pullen
19 Tarkan Mustafa (off 86 mins)
5 Mark Smith
17 Lee Matthews
3 Ashley Vickers
18 Mark Bentley
8 Paul Terry
9 Danny Shipp (off 62 mins)
16 Jimmy Jackson (off 62 mins)
10 Mark Stein
15 Leon Braithwaite


4 Lee Goodwin
6 Chris Piper
7 Mark Janney (on 86 mins)
11 Paul Bruce (on 62 mins)
20 Alex Meechan (on 62 mins)

13 Nathan Abbey
2 Simon Travis
5 Jason Goodliffe
6 Barry Laker
3 Lee Flynn
19 Peter Costello
18 Danny Carroll (off 76 mins)
11 Jamie Cook (off 76 mins)
34 Steve Watson
10 Tony Battersby
37 Anthony Elding (off 76 mins)


23 Gary Holloway (on 76 mins)
39 Graham Benstead
22 Rocky Baptiste (on 76 mins)
14 Matt Langston (on 76 mins)
20 Clint Marcelle

Referee: A. Woolmer
Attendance: 1,948

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Mark Bentley

Did well in a mostly over run midfield

Match Photos

The home Conference season kicks off

The Daggers attack a corner early on

Steino is policed by ex-cheat Elding

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club