The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


A severe injury gained in an obscure or unbelievable manner.




Next Match

27 October 2020
Maidenhead United
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

     On This Day

In 1996,The Daggers beat Newport I.O.W. 4-1  Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 1999,The Daggers lost 0-2 to Braintree Town Away in the Essex Senior Cup ?

In 2002,The Daggers beat Aldershot Town 4-0  Away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

In 2013,The Daggers beat Rochdale 3-1 at Home in the Sky Bet League Two 

In 2019,The Daggers beat Wrexham 2-1 at Home in the Vanarama National League 



Robbo saves

Report from Morecambe
by Hardy on 06/05/2003

The Daggers scrape through the Play Off semi-final against Morecambe in a penalty shoot out. Report and pictures from Christie Park.


Daggers win 3-2 on Penalties

Dagenham & Redbridge

West og 50
Rigoglioso 86

Terry 89

Nationwide Conference
Play-Off Semi-Final Second Leg

Christie Park
Monday 5th May 2003
Daggers make it (somehow)
The Daggers are into the Play Off final at Stoke City's Britannia Stadium by the skin of their teeth after a breathless semi final at Morecambe's Christie Park.

It is difficult to know where to start after a game like that so I'll start with team news. The Daggers were unchanged. Junior McDougald and Ashley Vickers were both on the pitch for the warm up but took no part in it and it was the same sixteen as Thursday night, meaning no attacking cover on the bench.

Before the game started Daggers Chairman Dave Andrews (left) shook hands with many in the Daggers crowd, and as the game kicked off he was still there, applauding the lads out the same as the rest of us. Much appreciated Dave, one of many gestures for the fans throughout the season.

The game started with the first of many bizarre decisions during the game by referee Foster as he booked Lee Matthews for a fairly innocuous challenge in the 5th minute, meaning the Daggers captain had to be on his guard right from the start. Strangely enough, despite the tension in the game and the full bloodedness of the contest this was the only card in the 120 minutes.

Morecambe came out of the blocks fast, hemming the Daggers in and dominating the game, once again putting makeshift full-backs Lee Goodwin (right) and Tarkan Mustafa under pressure. This almost told after a quarter of an hour when Thompson beat Goodwin and crossed for Curtis whose shot crashed against the bar and away.

The Daggers fans waited for more of the same but despite a series of corners the Shrimps couldn't come that close again in the first half, although Mark Janney did block twice on the line from successive corners in the middle of the half.

In the second half Morecambe, playing towards their packed fans pressed forward once again. The Daggers continued to cope however gave away a needless corner after just four minutes of the second half when Goodwin's back pass to Roberts put him under pressure and he sliced the ball away for a corner. The corner itself beat everyone only for Elam to pick the ball up on the Morecambe left and swing a cross in that Steve West slammed into his own net.

Losing the aggregate advantage seemed to spur the Daggers on and they started to take the game a little more to the home side. They had a golden chance to make it 1-1 when Mark Janney got away down the right and slid the ball to an un-marked Steve West (left) on the back post. With the goal gaping somehow Westy managed to screw it wide.

The game continued to be a little more even, especially after Janney was replaced by Steve Heffer on 68 minutes. Heff's moved to right back with Mustafa pushed up into his more customary right midfield spot.

With the Daggers trading blow for blow with Morecambe it looked like it would be extra time as the game moved into it's last five minutes. It would be, but not without some dramatic highs and lows for both sets of fans.

Stringfellow got away from the Daggers defence and rolled the ball to Adriano Rigoglioso who lifted it over Roberts as he rushed out to create complete pandemonium in Christie Park. The bench celebrated with the players on the pitch before the game got back under way.

The Daggers weren't dead though and pressed forward looking desperately for an aggregate equaliser. It came with just a minute of normal time remaining when Paul Terry picked the ball up and somehow found room to turn and hit his shot into the top corner. Pandemonium again, this time at the other end.

Still the game wasn't over as Morecambe heads went down and the Daggers tried to seize their moment. A minute into injury time Mark Stein found some space in the area and managed to get a toe poke on a shot that looked in all the way until Mawson managed to finger tip it over the bar.

At 3-3 on aggregate the game moved into golden goal extra time. Garry Hill (left) roused the team and the fans before it was off again. The first half of extra time was relatively quiet, Stein having a shot fly wide and Elam hitting one that was easily caught by Robbo.

Broomy replaced McGrath and then Mark Smith replaced Steve West as tired legs started to show. The removal of West meant that Timmy Cole, who had had a brilliant game again at the back, got pushed up to support Steino.

Tim, who has often looked like a frustrated centre forward, seized his chance, driving the Daggers forward. After a couple of sighters just over Tim smashed the ball against the bar from outside the area with Mawson well beaten. Jason Broom also had a great chance to win it after a scramble but somehow trod on the ball.

Right at the death though it was Morecambe who nearly snatched it, with Robbie Talbot getting round Roberts but having been forced wide, shooting across the face of the goal.

So it was penalties. The Daggers took first and Mark Stein stuck the ball away well. Drummond placed his in the corner but Robbo managed to save it. Shippy then put his in off the inside of the post and McKearney hit the same post but the ball span away. At 2-0 it looked all over, but then Paul Terry opted for power rather than placement and his shot was saved.

With heart rates quickening in the crowd Stringfellow scored for Morecambe then Lee Matthews made the same mistake as PT previously, Mawson saving a firmly struck but poorly placed shot. Gary Thompson then made it 2-2 with probably the best of all the efforts in the shootout.

Up stepped Tarkan Mustafa. With hearts stopping at the Daggers end he found the back of the net to leave Jamie Murphy the unenviable task of putting it to sudden death. Faced by Robbo, Murphy placed his shot into the corner but not hard enough and diving full length it was saved.

Pandemonium again as the Daggers fans ran onto the pitch to celebrate an unlikely and dramatic win. Robbo was lifted high and the two sets of fans applauded each other, neither team deserving to lose this one.

It is the Daggers though that go on to the Britannia stadium to take on Doncaster Rovers who drew 1-1 at Chester City and also won through on penalties.

The Daggers are potentially 90 minutes away from being a Football League team.




1 Craig Mawson
2 David McKearney
4 Jamie Murphy
5 James Bentley
6 Stewart Drummond
7 Adriano Rigoglioso (off 99 mins)
11 Gary Thompson
16 David Perkins (off 54 mins)
18 Michael Stringfellow
21 Wayne Curtis (off 99 mins)
23 Lee Elam

9 Robbie Talbot (on 99 mins)
12 Neil Uberschar (on 54 mins)
14 Iain Swan
17 Danny Carlton (on 68 mins)
19 Ryan Zico-Black

1 Tony Roberts
2 Tim Cole
17 Lee Matthews
19 Tarkan Mustafa
4 Lee Goodwin
8 Paul Terry
26 John McGrath (off 108 mins)
7 Mark Janney (off 69 mins)
10 Mark Stein
9 Danny Shipp
15 Steve West (off 110 mins)

23 Jason Broom (on 108 mins)
6 Steve Heffer (on 69 mins)
24 Steve Potts
5 Mark Smith (on 110 mins)
18 Paul Gothard

Referee: Mr D Foster
Attendance: 5,405

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Tim Cole

Passion, skill and never say die

Match Photos

Daggers fans, including Chairman Dave Andrews, welcome the lads

Here we go - enter the heroes dressed in blue!

Lee Matthews sees yellow early for a late challenge

Morecambe threaten from a corner in the first half

Morecambe's half time "facilities" leave a little to be desired

Daggers press in the second half

Danny Shipp wriggles to make space to shoot just over

Into extra time - Garry calls for more noise

Penalties is it - the two teams huddle before the contest

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club