The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


A serious injury incurred at just the wrong moment for the team.




Next Match

24 April 2021
Kings Lynn Town
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

17 April 2021
Solihull Moors
Vanarama National League 
Won 3-2

     On This Day

In 1995,The Daggers beat Bath City 1-0 at Home in the GM Vauxhall Conference 

In 1997,The Daggers beat Dulwich Hamlet 2-0  Away in the ICIS League Premier 

In 2000,The Daggers beat Hampton & Richmond Borough 3-2  Away in the Ryman League Premier 

In 2006,The Daggers beat Kidderminster Harriers 3-0 at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2011,The Daggers lost 0-1 to Plymouth Argyle at Home in the NPower League One 

In 2017,The Daggers beat Wrexham 1-0  Away in the Vanarama National League 

In 2019,The Daggers lost 0-2 to Braintree Town Away in the Vanarama National League 



J.McDonald/Getty I.

Plymouth Argyle Report
by Nelson on 14/01/2003

Report from Victoria Road where the Daggers beat Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup 3rd Round Replay following the 2-2 draw at Home Park. The Daggers progress to the 4th Round for the first time in their History and now face Norwich City at Carrow Road.

Dagenham & Redbridge

Plymouth Argyle

Shipp 20
McDougald 85

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
Victoria Road
Tuesday 14 January 2003
Dagger Delight As Plymouth Plummet
On an historic night at Victoria Road, the Daggers progressed to the Fourth Round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

In front of a large crowd and the Sky TV cameras, the Daggers withstood the challenge from Plymouth Argyle and took the game to their Second Division opponents, winning 2-0 courtesy of goals from Danny Shipp (left) and Junior McDougald.

With Garry Hill (right with Terry Harris) fielding the same side as that which earned a 2-2 draw at Home Park in the original side, Pilgrims' manager, Paul Sturrock made changes to his starting eleven, reverting to a 4-3-3 formation. It was the introduction of striker, Marino Keith that posed the Daggers the most problems and, indeed, Keith had three golden chances to turn the game just before the interval.

With a strong wind blowing down the pitch, the Daggers started the match kicking towards the Bury Road end with the wind behind them.

In the first minute, the visitors came close to opening the scoring when Keith saw his shot fly wide.

With the Daggers taking a while to settle, the visitors also had chances from Paul Wotton and a David Friio shot which was comfortably saved by Tony Roberts (left). Roberts received treatment for a knock sustained in this and from the restart, the Daggers came very close to taking the lead.

The ball was cleared upfield and John McGrath (right) managed to force a corner. When the corner was taken, the ball was headed goalwards, only to be saved by the arm of a Plymouth defender. Despite strong appeals that the ball had crossed the line and that the defender had handled the ball, the referee waved play on.

Obviously riled by this, the Daggers pressed forward and took the lead barely a minute later. Danny Shipp picked the ball up on the edge of the area, took a couple of paces inside and unleashed a fine left foot shot beyond the reach of the Argyle 'keeper to send the home support into ecstasy.

Both sides had chances to score in the remaining minutes of the first half. First Evans' shot was deflected wide and then Junior McDougald (left) latched onto a mistake by Wotton, but was unable to keep his powerful shot down.

The Daggers then forced two more corners but were unable to capitalise on them.

Increasingly, the visitors were attempting to use an unrefined long-ball game but were getting little change from the excellent Daggers' back line.

Towards the end of the half, though, the visitors had their best spell of the match, creating a number of good chances to level the scores. On each occasion, Keith was the main threat, first striking the post after a lovely turn and snap shot and then blasting the ball over from close range when it seemed certain that he would send the teams in level. Within a minute, he got through one-on-one with Roberts, only to scuff his shot well wide.

It seemed that the second half would see a change in tactics from the visitors, but the envisaged onslaught failed to come.

Mark Janney (right) saw his cross cleared by Worrell before Keith placed his shot over.

Increasingly, the Daggers were able to play shut-out on any Plymouth attack, save for a Keith shot which was saved by Roberts.

Following some tactical line-up changes, the visitors were still struggling to have any impact on the Daggers' defence and with around ten minutes to go, Junior McDougald very nearly took advantage of a mistake from Wotton, but a last ditch challenge from Coughlan denied him the chance to extend the lead.

However, McDougald did double the score when he finished off a wonderful move on the right. The Daggers were exchanging passes on the corner of the area and when Janney whipped in a cross, it eluded everyone with the exception of McDougald who had peeled off at the far post and headed the ball into the corner of the net to put the result beyond doubt (left).

The fourth official indicated three minutes of added time, but neither side created any notable chances and the final whistle blew to send the Daggers' supporters into raptures.

There is little doubt that the result and scoreline were thoroughly deserved. Garry Hill must be absolutely thrilled at the performance put in by every one of his players on the field tonight and, in particular, the back line who worked magnificently all night.

At Carrow Road, Norwich City desposed of the challenge of Brighton & Hove Albion, beating them 3-1 despite being 0-1 down.

The Daggers now face the difficult trip to Carrow Road for the Fourth Round.




1 Tony Roberts
3 Ashley Vickers
5 Mark Smith
6 Steve Heffer
7 Mark Janney
8 Paul Terry
9 Danny Shipp
13 Junior McDougald
15 Steve West (off 78 mins)
17 Lee Matthews
26 John McGrath


18 Paul Gothard
10 Mark Stein
14 Danny Hill
20 Mark Rooney (on 78 mins)
24 Steve Potts

1 Romain Larrieu
2 David Worrell
14 Lee Hodges
5 Graham Coughlan
15 Paul Wotton
26 David Norris
12 Steve Adams (off 78 mins)
4 David Friio
19 Marino Keith
9 Mickey Evans (off 69 mins)
10 Ian Stonebridge (off 78 mins)


23 Luke McCormick
11 Martin Phillips (on 69 mins)
21 Blair Sturrock (on 78 mins)
18 Hasney Aljofree
20 Jason Bent

Referee: Mr T Parkes
Attendance: 4,530

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Steve Heffer

A masterly performance all night

Match Photos

Garry Hill and Terry Harris discuss tactics
(c)Ian Walton/Getty Images

Ashley Vickers clears the ball
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

John McGrath on the ball
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Mark Janney breaks clear
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Junior McDougald puts the Daggers 2-0 up
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Garry shows Junior how he feels(!)
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Goalscoring heroes!
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Look out Norwich, here we come!
(c)Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club