The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


"Bas Vegas"
The Festival Leisure Park, Basildon.




Next Match

24 October 2020
Hartley Wintney
FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Last Match

17 October 2020
Yeovil Town
Vanarama National League 
Drew 0-0

     On This Day

In 1992,The Daggers beat Boston United 2-1  Away in the Conference League Cup 2nd Round

In 1996,The Daggers beat Bishop's Stortford 3-0 at Home in the ICIS League Premier 

In 2000,The Daggers beat Telford United 1-0  Away in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2006,The Daggers lost 1-3 to Kidderminster Harriers at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2008,The Daggers lost 1-2 to Bournemouth Away in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2014,The Daggers lost 1-3 to Luton Town Away in the Sky Bet League Two 

In 2017,The Daggers lost 0-1 to Wrexham at Home in the Vanarama National League 



Stein sees red

Southport Report
by Hardy on 30/09/2002

The Daggers are beaten by Southport and reduced to 9 men by an unbelievable display of refereeing at Victoria Road. Hardy tries to make sense of it all.

Dagenham & Redbridge


Potts sent off 45
Stein sent off 45

Soley (pen) 45
Soley 79
Thomson 85

Nationwide Conference
Victoria Road
Saturday 28th September 2002
Nine man Daggers beaten by Southport twelve
It is said that you never notice the referee when he has a good game. If this is true then Conference refereeing slipped to a new all time low on Saturday as Daggers fans watched in astonishment and a man called Martin Yerby scuppered the team's chances against Southport. More of that later.

The Daggers started, as predicted, with the eleven that beat Margate in midweek, the only change to the sixteen being Mark Janney in on the bench to replace John Keeling. Southport lined up, most unusually in these days of squad numbers, wearing 1 to 11 which implied this was their first choice side.

The first half was a great contest, the Daggers having a couple of good chances early on, Junior McDougald (left) putting a header wide in the 7th minute being the first. Three minutes later the Daggers should have gone in front when Junior's shot was blocked but he managed to toe end it across the six yard line to Mark Stein. Steino unfortunately rather scuffed the shot and Chris Lane was able to clear off the line.

Southport were playing good football too, looking sharp and passing the ball around nicely, but the Daggers central three, Paul Terry, Danny Hill (right) and Steve Perkins gave as good as they got. The visitors first serious effort on goal came from Steve Jones after 26 minutes but his shot was well held by Tony Roberts.

Martin Clark also had a shot saved on 37 minutes as the visitors started to press forward, but the Daggers were still a threat too with Paul Bruce getting in several telling left wing crosses.

Just on 40 minutes though, referee Yerby decided it was time to start to take his place in Victoria Road folklore when he booked Steve Perkins for what was an innocuous looking tackle on Steve Jones. With time running out in the first half though Mr Yerby completely turned the match.

A corner was swung in to the Daggers box from the left and Barry Jones headed towards goal. The ball clearly struck Steve Potts (left) on the thigh and was cleared but several seconds later Mr Yerby blew for a penalty. As incensed Daggers surrounded the referee he compounded his error by giving Potts a straight red card for deliberate handball.

Steve Soley then stepped up to take the penalty and found the top left of Tony Roberts' goal to put Southport in front. With 2 minutes added to the first 45 it looked like that was it but there was more to come.

Mark Stein jumped for a ball with Barry Jones in midfield and Jones dropped to the floor like he had been shot. As a melee ensued (right) Mr Yerby pulled Stein aside and showed him a straight red card, presumably for what he saw as a deliberate elbow. As Stein left the field Jones seemed mysteriously to recover very quickly.

A tense half time saw some unsavoury scenes as the Southport fans were barracked changing ends by a minority in the very upset Victoria Road crowd, and then the Southport substitutes, keeping warm during the half time break, were asked to move away from the front of the sieve for "chatting" to some of the Daggers fans.

The Daggers reorganised for the second half replacing Danny Hill with Mark Janney. With Junior ploughing a lone furrow up front they took the game to Southport for the next 30 minutes hemming the visitors back despite being outnumbered without really creating any clear cut chances to grab the equaliser with Southport's Barry Jones booed at every touch of the ball.

With Junior running his socks off the referee had a chance to make the game more even when Southport's Mark Winstanley took Junior out in front of the Carling Stand on 70 minutes. The referee decided that yellow was enough on this occasion though (left).

It was almost inevitable that the numerical advantage was going to tell in the end though and in the 79th minute, with the Daggers tiring Southport broke and Steve Soley ended a brave struggle with his second, a neat finish from a Sullivan cross.

With the stuffing finally knocked out of the home side, Peter Thomson added a third in the 85th minute, injuring himself in the process to complete the Daggers misery. The game ended in boo's, not for the Daggers, but for the referee that ruined what was a fine contest for 45 minutes.

During the second half Southport's Barry Jones (right) was again involved in another incident near the Sieve when a coin appeared to be thrown. Once more he fell poleaxed and no doubt six foot Conference defenders everywhere would when struck by a coin, but the incident was another in an increasingly long line where Dagenham & Redbridge's stewarding has left something to be desired. Jones had a further "discussion" with a fan behind the Bury Road goal during a Daggers corner which revealed that he is not too high on the evolutionary scale, but again no steward was on-hand. It is hoped the the actions of the minority do not have severe ramifications for the club.

The result moves Southport to 3rd and drops the Daggers to 12th. More importantly, the Daggers will lose Steve Potts and Mark Stein for upcoming matches, with Ashley Vickers and Paul Gothard also facing bans for red cards at Chester City.

Elsewhere the big game of the day ended in a goalless draw between Doncaster and Chester at Belle Vue allowing Yeovil to go top with a 4-2 win at Leigh RMI. Woking were stuffed again losing 5-1 to Stevenage Borough to prove to the Daggers fans that there is someone worse off than them. Woking have now leaked 19 goals in 4 games and scored just once and drop into the relegation zone having headed the table after four games.




1 Tony Roberts
3 Ashley Vickers
17 Lee Matthews
20 Mark Rooney
24 Steve Potts
8 Paul Terry
11 Paul Bruce (off 61 mins)
12 Steve Perkins (off 79 mins)

14 Danny Hill (off 46 mins)
10 Mark Stein
13 Junior McDougald


18 Paul Gothard
5 Mark Smith
7 Mark Janney (on 46 mins)
15 Steve West (on 79 mins)
9 Danny Shipp (on 61 mins)

1 Steve Dickinson
2 Chris Lane
3 Dean Howell (off 69 mins)
4 Mark Winstanley
5 Barry Jones
6 Martin Clark
7 Steve Pickford
8 Marc Lloyd-Williams (off 72 mins)
9 Peter Thomson (off 85 mins)
10 Steve Soley
11 Steve Jones


14 Andrew Scott (on 85 mins)
16 Gary Bauress
18 James Connolly
19 Tony Sullivan (on 72 mins)
20 Neil Gibson (on 69 mins)

Referee: Mr M Yerby
Attendance: 1,341

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Martin Yerby

Had more effect on the game than any of the players

Match Photos

Junior McDougald

Paul Bruce whips in a first half cross

Steve Soley about to strike the Southport penalty

Barry Jones lies poleaxed in a 21 man scrum

Referee Yerby reaches for red for Mark Stein

The man not on Garry Hill's Xmas card list

Junior in flight (Copyright Steve Green)

Ashley Vickers in action (Copyright Steve Green)

Just for Boston fans - Lost 3-0 and still the team applaud the fans

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club