The Site
News Index
Search The Site
About The Site
The Season
Fixtures & Results
League Table
Player Profiles
06/07 Photo Gallery
The Club
Archive 92/93 to 19/20
Match Database
Away Fans Guide
The Terraces
E-mail List
Fun & Games
Daggers Dictionary

 The Poll

Daggers change of ownership: should we...

Stay as we are (Members Club)
Go with the East Consortium
Go with the Tamplin Consortium
Look for another solution

View Current Standings


The signal that the person writing a post in a forum or message board has no basic grasp of English. (See also "Gary Hill", "Morecome")




Next Match

17 April 2021
Solihull Moors
Vanarama National League 

Last Match

13 April 2021
Vanarama National League 
Won 2-0

     On This Day

In 1993,The Daggers beat Bath City 2-1 at Home in the GM Vauxhall Conference 

In 1994,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Northwich Victoria Away in the GM Vauxhall Conference 

In 1995,The Daggers beat Farnborough Town 3-1  Away in the GM Vauxhall Conference 

In 1997,The Daggers drew 1-1 with Hitchin Town at Home in the ICIS League Premier 

In 1999,The Daggers beat Hampton 2-1  Away in the Ryman League Premier 

In 2004,The Daggers lost 0-1 to Halifax Town at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2006,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Canvey Island at Home in the Nationwide Conference 

In 2010,The Daggers beat Burton Albion 2-1 at Home in the Coca Cola League Two 

In 2017,The Daggers drew 2-2 with Sutton United at Home in the Vanarama National League 

In 2018,The Daggers lost 1-3 to Bromley Away in the Vanarama National League 



Dagenham & Redbridge

Chester City

Stein 61
Stein 66
Cole 86

Nationwide Conference
Victoria Road
Sunday 28 April 2002
Title Race Goes To The Wire
The Daggers on Sunday went into their match against Chester City knowing that unless Hayes could achieve some sort of result against Boston United, the Title would be heading to York Street.

A noisy and anticipatory reception from the 3,939 crowd, the record home league crowd for the Daggers, awaited the teams. The match kicked off in a bizarrely subdued fashion with the strong blustery wind blowing into the Daggers' faces and intermittent downpours making the playing conditions very difficult.

The noise in the crowd tailed off after five minutes when news of Boston's opening goal at Hayes filtered through the crowd.

Rumours of an equaliser for Hayes filtered through the Daggers support midway through the half and a period of very vocal support followed. This seemed to spur the Daggers on a little and Steve West fired in a wonderful 30 yard free kick only to see keeper, Wayne Brown somehow tip it round the post. News filtered through that the rumours of the Hayes equaliser were false and the crowd fell silent again.

Shortly before half time, a corner from Steve McGavin was met by the head of Lee Goodwin (above) but it crashed off the post with Brown beaten.

Tony Roberts (right) did well to save shots from Chester's David Brown on two occasions, one a brave dive at Brown's feet and the other a fantastic save at close range.

The second half started with the Daggers playing into the wind and news of Costello's dismissal for Boston at Hayes was quickly followed by Boston's second goal. From this point, the team and support seemed to realise that the title was unlikely to be heading to Victoria Road and some of the nervousness that had been evident in the first half disappeared.

A collision between Tim Cole (left) and Stuart Whittaker looked as though it might result in a penalty for the visitors but the referee waved away Chester's appeals.

With an hour on the clock, the Daggers finally got the breakthrough. A strong shot from Paul Terry was parried to Mark Stein who side footed the ball into the empty net. The goal celebrations were strangely muted though and it was clear that the players were resigned to a second place finish.

Five minutes later, the Daggers doubled their lead when Junior McDougald did well to hold off a strong challenge from Mark Williams before laying on a lovely pass for Stein with Brown committed. Stein (right) repeated his finish from the first goal to put the Daggers 2-0 up.

The third goal came with four minutes remaining. Another corner from the ever-impressive Steve McGavin was headed powerfully home by Tim Cole, bringing to the end a wretched season for the injury stricken player.

At the final whistle, with news that Boston had, indeed, beaten Hayes 2-0 to take the title, a well deserved lap of honour from the team was given a standing ovation from the obviously disappointed crowd. would like to congratulate Boston United on their Championship and to send its commiserations to the Dagenham & Redbridge players and officials on coming so close.

Click on one of the images below for a fullsize version.
Tim Cole celebrates his Goal with Junior McDougald & Mark Stein

Garry Hill salutes the fans
The team with the runners-up trophy
Photos copyright Craig Prentis/Getty Images



Tony Roberts
Steve West (off 87 mins)
Steve McGavin
Lee Goodwin
Mark Smith (off 46 mins)
Danny Shipp
Mark Janney
Paul Terry
Junior McDougald
Mark Stein
Matt Jones (off 83 mins)

Tim Cole (on 46 mins)
Jason Broom (on 83 mins)
Ashley Vickers (on 87 mins)
Ken Charlery
Paul Gothard.

Wayne Brown
Martyn Lancaster
Michael Rose
Paul Carden (off 66 mins)
Mark Williams
Gary Brabin
Chris Blackburn
Brian McGorry
David Brown (off 66 mins)
Danny Collins
Stuart Whittaker (off 61 mins)

Carl Ruffer (on 61 mins)
Lee Woodyatt (on 66 mins)
Richard Peacock (on 66 mins)
Jimmy Haarhoff
Dean Spink.

Referee: Mr K Woolmer
Attendance: 3,939

DiggerDagger's Man Of The Match

Mark Stein

Scored Two And Worked Well Throughout

 is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club